Naracoorte, Saturday, May 23

Upset and broken!

Upset and broken!

By Nasik Swami: A local businessman is calling for more police presence in the town, particularly at night.  Multicultural grocery store BWD Trading on McRae Street was broken into last Friday night—twice in two months, sustaining alleged losses and damage of about $30,000.  Speaking to this newspaper, owner Didar Ali said, “this is very bad, and now it (the town) is not safe”.  “Thanks to the Naracoorte community, I have operated my business for 15 years, and nothing has happened. Now, it’s...

read more
Ireland calls for upgrade

Ireland calls for upgrade

By Chris Oldfield: THE low-level classification of a road servicing traffic between Bordertown, Lucindale and Kingston will be compared with similar roads by Naracoorte Lucindale Council’s administration. This follows Cr Peter Ireland’s call for the classification of several roads, including Dickensons Rd, to be reviewed and upgraded in the council’s Road and Stormwater Infrastructure Management Plan. The plan includes a road hierarchy, and the matter was raised at the council’s September 10...

read more
Stunner!

Stunner!

The Aurora Australis makes a stunning return to southern Australian skies. The dazzling Aurora Australis display was visible over Naracoorte between 3-5.30am on October 11th. This photo was taken at 5.40am with the town lights of Naracoorte. Photo credit: Vanessa Hobbs. To access this post, you must purchase MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION, THE LAST ISSUE or ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION.

read more
Breaking the cycle

Breaking the cycle

By Nasik Swami: An award-winning local policeman says the district needs to come together to “break the cycle” of domestic violence that exists in our community. Naracoorte’s Senior Constable, Chris Mailley, who works in supporting domestic and family violence victims, says, “just one incident is too many”. “Unfortunately, domestic violence is part of society, and we can only do what we can to break that cycle, intervene, and help people,” Senior Constable Mailley said. He said the...

read more

Dr Taylor retires

By Chris Oldfield: KINCRAIG Medical Clinic GP Dr Jeffery Taylor has retired from clinical practice following his resignation on Thursday, September 26. Last week the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) reported on an allegation that had been made against Dr Taylor. The alleged matter is to be reviewed at a Medical Board Tribunal hearing. It is likely that hearing will take place sometime in the next 12 months. With a one-year expiry date of September 30, 2025, gender conditions have been applied, as listed on the AHPRA website. The conditions do not appear to prevent Dr Taylor practising Men’s Health. Dr Taylor is allowed to communicate with another registered health practitioner “to facilitate the referral of patients and/or transfer of clinical records.” Dr Taylor told The News: “After 25 years of being on call 24/7, I have decided to retire from clinical practice. “This will allow me the opportunity […]

To access this post, you must purchase MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION, THE LAST ISSUE or ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION.

read more
Ready, set, and go!

Ready, set, and go!

By Nasik Swami: The Lucindale Karting Club is ready to host the biggest dirt karting weekend of the year. The Hallett Concrete 2024 Australian Dirt Kart Titles will be held at the Lucindale Karting Club between October 4-7. Speaking to The News, Lucindale Club members and racers Josh and Louis Bull have called for public support for the big event that’s happening locally. Josh is the current A2 (that’s Australia No 2) in the 200cc class (the biggest horsepower, premier class), while Louis is the current S2 (that’s South Australia No 2) in the same 200cc class.  “Come out and support us over the three-day event (Friday, Saturday, and Sunday),” Josh, who has been racing for 15 years, said. “It’s a fantastic chance to witness some of the best in dirt kart racing battle for the top spot.”  Josh said preparations for the event were going well. “We’ve spent countless […]

To access this post, you must purchase MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION, THE LAST ISSUE or ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION.

read more
Spotlight on SA’s largest yards

Spotlight on SA’s largest yards

By Chris Oldfield: Around 82,500 cattle and 480,000 sheep grossed $149.9 million last financial year at the Naracoorte Regional Livestock Exchange, South Australia’s largest saleyard facility. Currently valued at more than $13.3 million by Naracoorte Lucindale Council it is also considered one of Australia’s premier saleyards, helping to underpin Naracoorte’s economy. For almost 51 years the NRLE has created ongoing employment for stock agents, truck drivers, meat buyers, PIRSA agents, EPA officers, farm workers, canteen staff, council workers, fuel companies and the nearby Teys abattoirs which employs more than 500 people. While the Naracoorte Lucindale Council owns the asset, it is mostly funded by farming families. NRLE operations Last financial year 84 percent of more than $1.8 million was raised from farmers via yard fees. A truck wash pumped in another 13 percent, and paddocking fees – 3 percent. The facility returned an operating surplus of $902,297.20 for the council. […]

To access this post, you must purchase MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION, THE LAST ISSUE or ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION.

read more
From Naracoorte, with love

From Naracoorte, with love

By Nasik Swami: It’s an unusual story—one we hardly get to hear or read about in Naracoorte. It’s a story of our small community and our people coming together to help raise funds to alleviate the sufferings of women and children in a community and country not part of Australia—Mengaumenau, Papua New Guinea (PNG). Imagine finding yourself in a place where there is no one at all to help you deliver your baby. No facilities of any kind. No medicines of any kind. And to get to the nearest help, you have to walk two hours to reach the side of a fast-flowing river that is 60m across. To get to the other side of that river, you will have to get help to build a raft—or you could chance it on the huge vine footbridge that the villagers built. A woman who recently tried it fell through the rotten […]

To access this post, you must purchase MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION, THE LAST ISSUE or ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION.

read more

Have your say!

Mayor calls on the public to voice their concerns. By Nasik Swami: If you want “first-world telecommunications” and improvements to the digital infrastructure in your area, make sure to let the government know. That’s the plea from Naracoorte Lucindale mayor Patrick...

read more

Emotional, but proud

By Nasik Swami: It was an emotional but proud day for the parents of late Brevet Sergeant Jason Doig, the Lucindale police officer killed in the line of duty last year. The late Brevet Sergeant Doig’s mother, Faye Edwards, and her husband Rob were part of the Police...

read more

Vote for health

By Nasik Swami: At the next state election, cast a vote as though your life and health may depend upon it. That’s the message from Lachlan Haynes, the chair of Limestone Coast Radiation Working Group—a group that has been fighting tooth and nail for the establishment...

read more
Our top cop!

Our top cop!

By Nasik Swami: He is our top cop. Naracoorte’s Senior Constable Chris Mailley has been awarded the 2024 South Australia Police Officer of the Year.  The 59-year-old received the Rotary Club of Unley award for his dedication to the local community and work in assisting domestic and family violence victims.  Originally from the United Kingdom, Senior Constable Mailley became a police officer almost 30 years ago.  “I feel very humbled to be receiving this award. It’s nice to be awarded later in my career as it shows, like so many police officers, we don’t lose our passion for what we do,” Snr Constable Mailley said.  And he says he’s not slowing down anytime soon as “he’s not done yet”. “I’m hoping to see the Upper South East achieve the best domestic violence support in the state.” Commissioner of Police Grant Stevens congratulated the regional police officer on his award and […]

To access this post, you must purchase MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION, THE LAST ISSUE or ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION.

read more
Trevor Smart retires

Trevor Smart retires

By Chris Oldfield and Nasik Swami: NARACOORTE Lucindale Council CEO Trevor Smart has resigned after six years in the top job and is looking forward to spending more time with his family. Mr Smart has spent 41 years in local government and six years with Naracoorte Lucindale Council. In a bid to help the council transition to a new CEO, he will stay on until the end of February, unless a new executive is found beforehand. Mayor Patrick Ross said he advised elected members of Mr Smart’s decision last Friday and staff were also informed on the same day. “His resignation letter, which I forwarded to all elected members with a covering note from myself of when I received it, is a letter of resignation and retirement,” Mr Ross said. “Trevor Smart is very good at his job. For a first-time council member/mayor, to have a chief executive officer of […]

To access this post, you must purchase MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION, THE LAST ISSUE or ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION.

read more
Hard Talk!

Hard Talk!

Issue One: Food Prices. Respondents: Premier Peter Malinauskas and Opposition Leader Vincent Tarzia. By Nasik Swami: The News is introducing a new series called Hard Talk, focusing on in-depth interviews with hard-hitting questions on issues relating to communities like ours. Through this series, we aim to ask our leaders, bureaucrats, and decision makers to respond to the various issues affecting our community—our businesses, our farmers, our workers, our children, along with our health, education, and industry networks; What is working well and what is not? Hard Talk is simple. It’s about holding your elected representatives accountable and demanding the change that’s needed. If no change is needed, we can promote that too. In our first issue, we focus on the rising food prices. We questioned Premier Peter Malinauskas and newly appointed Opposition Leader Vincent Tarzia. An affordable daily diet has edged too far away for many. Food prices have risen […]

To access this post, you must purchase MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION, THE LAST ISSUE or ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION.

read more
Inspiring our young leaders

Inspiring our young leaders

Last week, the Naracoorte Cub Scouts had an exciting visit to the Naracoorte Council office. They were joined by Mayor Patrick Ross and Deputy Mayor Monique Crossling to learn how council operates, how a council meeting is run, and toured the council office. The Scouts explored the building, viewed historical maps of Naracoorte, admired the honour boards, and checked out some old surveying equipment. Picture: NLC.

To access this post, you must purchase MONTHLY SUBSCRIPTION, THE LAST ISSUE or ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION.

read more
Trevor Smart retires

Trevor Smart retires

By Chris Oldfield and Nasik Swami: NARACOORTE Lucindale Council CEO Trevor Smart has resigned after six years in the top job and is looking forward to spending more time with his family. Mr Smart has spent 41 years in local government and six years with Naracoorte...

read more
Hard Talk!

Hard Talk!

Issue One: Food Prices. Respondents: Premier Peter Malinauskas and Opposition Leader Vincent Tarzia. By Nasik Swami: The News is introducing a new series called Hard Talk, focusing on in-depth interviews with hard-hitting questions on issues relating to communities...

read more

BE PART OF
THE COMMUNITY!

Help us continue to grow and improve by supporting our community. You can help us make an impact by sharing our content, becoming a sponsor or distributor, or donating to our causes.

Discover how to help us!